Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent

So as a non practicing Catholic, I do the usual giving something up for lent. I have been doing this since I was a senior in high school and I do take it very seriously. To be completely honest I really don't know the whole reason for it, but I get the jest. My reasoning behind this is, in own my little way I am acknowledging what Christ gave up for us. So I guess it's the "you Scratch my back, I'll scratch yours." I was not raised in the Church, my parents gave us the option to go when and if we wanted to. I went the most out of the three kids, I went with my grandmother on many occasions and I went with my father on Christmas and Easter. I Have always believed in God and that Jesus is his only son, but as I get older I find myself more curious about religion. Not just my own, but everyone Else's also. I find it very interesting what people believe and why they believe it. I took a college class on world Religions and really liked it and wished it had gone more in depth then it did. We had to keep a journal and write in it about religious discussions we had, articles we have read and ceremonies that we attended. In one of the journal entries we had to write down what we believed in and how we felt. It really got me thinking, I know I believe in God and Jesus, I also believe that everyone "should" have the right to chose which ever religion they would like, I don't believe you have to go to church to have a relationship with God, but a church helps you celebrate that relationship in a public way, I believe that some people feel differently then me and I am okay with that. Just a couple of my thoughts there! Since we have moved here we haven't been to church, and may take sometime to get back into the swing of things. We had a great Church that we found a couple of months before we left Florida, and was sad to leave them. Hopefully we will find another one that feels as "homey" as that one did. Okay that is my religion blog, take it or leave it. OH and BTW, I have given up 3 things for lent they are soda, french fries and ice cream. Hopefully by Easter, this Lent diet will have done some good for my body as well as my soul!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not one bit suprised that you have kept up with your religion! You were the only one (of you 3 kids) that would ALWAYS go when asked or you would even be the one to do the asking! Mom